Friday, October 21, 2011

DJ QUEEN OF SPADES HER THRONE IS THE DJ BOOTH INTERVIEW WITH: GENEVA RELF

DJ QUEEN OF SPADES 
HER THRONE IS THE DJ BOOTH 
INTERVIEW WITH: GENEVA RELF



Geneva: Greetings how are you today, we finally have the chance to do this interview! How is DJ Queen of Spades doing?

DJ Queen of Spades: 

Yes, finally....lol 
I am great! Things are amazing and I am happy for this opportunity.


Geneva: You have been such the busy lady, can you just break it down for us what the fans can look forward to?


DJ Queen of Spades: 

Wow! Where do I start? LOL 
I am excited to announce that I am one of the newest members of the Famous Monster DJ Team. If you are not familiar, Monster Cable is the company that makes Beats By Dre headphones and products, so this is a huge deal for me.  We have a lot of projects in the works, so make sure to look out for them.  I have also recently joined an internet radio site www.globalcityradio.com based out of the UK. My signature radio show "The Royal Treatment" broadcast's every night from 12-1am EST I am very happy to announce as well that I a mixer on Tulsa's #1 Hip Hop and R'n'B station KJAMZ 105.3. I'll be doing the Old School Cafe Mix every Monday from 1-2pm EST I'm also working on new mixes for my mixtape series "All Hail The Queen" and podcast. I am also doing new projects with my DJ Organizations; The Core DJs & IMS DJs.


Geneva: Now for those who may not know what their missing in the female DJ game. Can you tell us what separates you from most female DJ's?


DJ Queen:

I think my versatility it makes me unique.  When I first started DJ'ing, I mainly spun hip hop and r'n'b.  After awhile, I realized that to be more of an asset, you need to master different genres.  I have always been around a wide range of music, so I am quite knowledgeable.  Therefore, it was very easy to transition into other types of music.  This sets me aside from many other DJs, because now I can rock parties by myself and play everything.  I also think I have a unique style that makes me stand out.  I pride myself on being a trendsetter and doing things a little different than other females. I respect all my female DJs though and that we are now becoming more noticeable and respected for what we are doing. 


G: Can you tell me what is the biggest hurdle for females in the djing game and what has been your biggest accomplishment? 


DJ Queen:

I think being a DJ has its hurdles period. There are the ups and downs of this industry. The biggest hurdle being a female DJ is sometimes you are found trying to "prove" yourself and that you have just as much, if not more talent to stand up to the male DJ's.  Basically, I just go to the party, get on the 1's and 2's and show them what I’m about. Let my talent speak for itself. 
I've been blessed to have accomplished many things up to this point in my career. One of the biggest ones has to be being nominated for Female DJ of The Year since 2007 at an annual DJ Awards Ceremony held in Toronto. This shows that I am being recognized and shown love for my contributions as a DJ.




 G: When it comes to being a female DJ what is the biggest misunderstanding ?







DJ Queen:


That we are "gimmicks" I cannot tell you how many people have said this to be before. "Oh you can't DJ, you're just a pretty face" Well I agree with the pretty face part...lol However, it's the misconception that a lot of female DJs are just out for "show" that sadly become a fall back for us. And, I understand. When you see a lot of female DJs these days, they are wearing bikinis and a pair of headphones. lol Even I have to shake my head sometimes. Yes, its ok to be sexy, but don't let it over shadow your skills. 



G: Now their are a lot of artists out there, so many new tracks and hot singles among albums out who are you mixing in the clubs or featuring in your events?


DJ Queen:
Oh wow, right now what I play to get the crowd rockin' is definitely; Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Drake, Meek Mill. A lot of the down south tracks right now are really what gets the crowd hype! 



G: Now being a DJ of many talents can you please tell us what else is in your bag of expertise and skills besides djing?



DJ Queen:

I have dabbled in a lot of things while I've been in the industry the last 17 years. I have done Marketing and Promotions, which I still continue to do. I have planned and thrown my own signature events. I have also worked with a couple of record labels in the past.  I have done management for an old dance crew I used to be apart of.  So, I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge working on both sides of the fence. 


G: Furthermore being in a male dominated industry what has been your personal motto or theme for inspiration to stay motivated?


DJ Queen:

Just stay focused! Don't get discouraged when something may not work out in your favor and just keep working hard. Keep motivated and dedicated, it never goes unrecognized. 



G: What has been your "Awww" moment, that moment when you realized you've made it in this business?


DJ Queen:

Hmmmmm..... There have been a few of these moments so far, but the one that really stands out and means a lot, is when DJ Scratch ( EPMD ) told me I was an amazing DJ. This is someone who I have looked up to for so many years and I think he is one of the best DJs I have ever heard. So, for him to hear me DJ and tell ME that I am a great DJ was definitely one of those "awww" moments!


G: Now I have seen your style what inspires your fashion?


DJ Queen:

Honestly, I am not really inspired by anyone or anything specific when it comes to my style. I just wear what feels good and makes me look hot! lol 
I can go from wearing a pair of jeans and sneakers to a mini-skirt and heels. It really just depends on my mood and what's going on. One thing, I will always keep it stylish though. :) 



G: Now if I said "All hail the Queen" what is your definition of a true queen in today's times?



DJ Queen:

A strong, smart, independent woman who can hold her own and is out there doing something positive. You can have a "hustle", but as long as you are keeping it classy and you are respecting yourself at the end of the day.... you are a true queen! 



G: Now for those who think that female dj's don't fit in the game, what would you say to them?



DJ Queen:

Let me get on the 1's and 2's and let me rock and I'll show them....lol  Honestly, its sad that being a DJ has been labeled as a "male" occupation.  Spinderella, is one of the dopest DJs out there and she has been rockin' since the 80's! There just isn't enough of us in comparison to the men, but that is quickly changing.  I'll always say this, "If you love music, have a real passion for this and are dedicated and can actually DJ, it doesn't matter what race or gender you are!" 



G:What would be your greatest piece of advice you would give to a young women looking to enter into the dominating world of entertainment?



DJ Queen:

Do not let the stereotyping discourage anything you do! If you have enough talent, love, passion, dedication, and determination, you will succeed no matter what. Put your heart and mind into it and do the do! And, brand yourself accordingly. Branding, is probably one of the most important things you will have to do. And, of course network. 


G: What does "Girl Power" mean to you?


DJ Queen:

UNITY!! We can't even think about using the term "Girl Power" if we don't all come together and help one another.  I am the biggest supporter of my other female DJ peers. We all have the same obstacles, we all have the same stereotypes and for the most part, we are all doing this for the love of DJ'ing. I am always there to lend a helping hand and give my support and advice. 


G: Who is DJ Queen of Spades at the end of the day?



DJ Queen:

I'm just a funny, loving, down to earth, humble person who loves music and decided to make a career from that love! I can't ever see myself changing. If you look in the middle of the dance floor at a party, chances are I'll be there like I've always been.....lol  


G: Thanks again so much for taking this time out of your busy schedule, Also please don't forget to tell the folks where they can find you to keep up with the latest. And is there anything you would like to add before we go?



DJ Queen:

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me. I am very grateful for the opportunity. I just wanna say thank you to everyone that supports me and comes to my parties or listens to my mixtapes or hits me up to tell me that they love what I'm doing. Honestly, its because of them why DJ Queen of Spades can still keep doing what I do! :) 

You can reach me at any of the following::

RADIO:: Every night you can catch The Royal Treatment Mixshow from 12-1am EST www.globalcitydance.com
& Every Monday The Old School Cafe Mixx from 1-2pm EST www.kjmm.com KJAMZ 105.3 

1 comment:

PAYPAL

Official PayPal Seal